The return of spring means warmer weather, blooming flowers, and longer days. After a cold winter, it’s nice to get back outside and enjoy yourself without fear of freezing your toes off. But the spring season doesn’t just bring warm weather, it brings pests into your property.
Spring pests can cause unneeded stress and affect your ability to live and work comfortably. But with the right information, you can prevent spring pests from infesting your property. For everything you need to know about spring pest prevention in Long Island, keep reading.
Common Pests In Long Island
Many problematic pests plagues long Island properties. While pest problems can occur at any time of year, several common spring pests can be a danger to you and your home or business.
- Rodents – Rats, mice, and squirrels can be highly destructive pests known to chew through wood, wires, and even brick. Rodents carry parasites and are known to transmit harmful salmonella bacteria, among other pathogens.
- Cockroaches – The ultimate survivor of the pest world, cockroaches, are tough to eliminate. These insects will eagerly infest your kitchen and bathroom in search of food and water. They reproduce in large numbers, spread disease, and can even cause asthma.
- Ants – The return of warm weather means the return of ants. Ants can contaminate your food and cause stress because of their persistent feeding.
- Termites – The early spring is the start of termite season and is the prime time for termite swarmers to form new colonies. These highly destructive bugs can live year-round in a warm home but establish new colonies once the warm weather comes around.
Long Island Pest Prevention Tips
While many pests can invade your property, and each requires a particular treatment approach, there are some general pest control tips you can follow that can reduce the chances of developing an infestation.
- Clean up after yourself – Ensure that there are no food scraps, spills, or residue that could attract pests. Don’t leave dirty dishes in the sink overnight.
- Don’t forget hard-to-reach areas – Clean up beneath heavy appliances like your refrigerator and the back of closets and attic areas.
- Store food in secure containers – Keep your cereal, crackers, and other pantry foods stored in sturdy containers. Strong plastic is good, but metal or glass is best for keeping rodents out.
- Dispose of garbage often – Don’t let trash accumulate indoors. Ensure all garbage is thrown out as often as possible and put in a receptacle with a tight-fitting lid. Try to keep trash away from the property if possible.
- Reduce yard debris – Don’t let dead leaves and lawn clippings pile up in your yard. Common pests love to hide in organic clutter around your property. Clean up any yard debris, trim hedges, and keep firewood away from the building.
How To Protect Your Property From Pests
Damage to your property may be letting pests in. Here are a few pointers about what to look for and how to protect against pests.
- Seal cracks and gaps – Look around your foundation for any openings that pests could squeeze through. Don’t forget about gaps around pipes and fixtures—seal openings with caulk.
- Reduce moisture – Make sure that there are no leaking pipes or clogged drains where moisture accumulates.
- Replace weather-stripping – Some pests will crawl in through your doors and windows. Check your weather stripping and door sweeps and replace as needed.
The best way you can protect your Long Island property from pests is with professional pest control services. At Parkway Pest Services, we provide ongoing assistance to our customers dealing with pest problems. Our comprehensive services will eliminate the pests you have and prevent them from coming back. For the answer to all your pest problems, get in touch with us today.