Your home may slowly be destroyed beneath you by groups of silent destroyers known as termites. These quiet wood-eating and excavating creatures cause about $5 billion in property damage each year.
Summer is the time of the year when they are operating at peak activity. In a couple of months, a group of termites will leave their nests to create new colonies. Now is the time to take action by securing your Westchester County pest control professionals at Parkway Pest Services.
Signs Of Termite Damage You Should Look Out For
Since termites operate in locations out of sight, there is often no indication of the havoc reaped upon your house. They can be at work ruining your home for years before there is an indication that something is wrong.
Although the termites themselves are seldom visible, evidence of termite damage is apparent if you know the signs.
The following are signs of termites in your home:
- Blistering paint
- Warping doors and frames
- Mud tubes on the exterior of the home
- Sawdust-like debris outside of holes in the wood
- Discarded wings of termites
- Crunching sounds underneath when walking across the floor
You may see swarmers (termites with wings) early in the morning or late evening and during the spring and fall. If you see insects that look like white ants, you likely have termites and should secure the services of the termite specialists near you: Parkway Pest Services.
Just A Few Termites Or An Infestation?
There are over 2,000 termite species worldwide, and approximately 50 of those species are in the United States. The type of termite likely to infest a structure in Westchester County is the Eastern subterranean termite. The queen of a termite colony produces up to 10,000 eggs annually. It takes between five to ten years for a colony to mature; once matured, the nest may have up to two million members. Once you see evidence of termite destruction, tens of thousands of them have been tirelessly destroying the wood in your home for years.
Repairing Termite Damage
The following are steps for repairing termite damage on your Westchester home:
- Exterminate the termites. Before repairing damage from termites, you need to get rid of termites at your location. Elimination of termites is not easy and requires trained professionals like the team at Parkway Pest Services. Once we have resolved the termite problem, repairs on your home can commence.
- Repair or replace damaged wood. Assess the situation to determine if the damaged wood is salvageable, or if a total replacement is required. If it is load-bearing support, use the services of a local contractor.
- Support damaged wood. In some situations, you can add wood to strengthen a damaged portion.
- Use wood products such as fillers and hardeners. You can use these products to fill holes created by the termites.
Assuming you quickly act when you see evidence of termites, termite damage is repairable. If the repairs involve structural parts of the home, the best practice is to consult a local building expert.
Total Termite Control Services: No Problem Too Big Or Small
You don't want your Westchester home to be one of the thousands of homes that are victim to termite destruction each year. Be alert to the signs of termites on your property, and take action when you see evidence of termite destruction. The licensed experts at Parkway Pest Services have the experience, training, and tools for environmentally-friendly termite removal at your home. Reach out to us today and let us eradicate termites at your home before it is too late.